It is vital to learn how to shop within your means, especially in today’s world when everything is expensive and earning enough money seems hard to most people. Going into a debt is not a solution, but only beginning of much bigger problem. Following tips will help you to consolidate your spending with your income so that lack of cash will never have to worry you again.
1) Budget – setting a budget is the first and most important step you should take. Do it even if you think it is unnecessary. You do not have to write anything down. You can set a certain sum and keep it in mind or withdraw corresponding amount of cash. In fact, the option with cash is the best one (I will explain later on). Anyway, the best way to go is to decide how much of your income you can afford to spend in shops during the entire month, and in Holiday Seasons. Then break this sum into smaller portions to get weekly budget as that is the best one to work with. Daily budgets are not advised as you can easily fail to follow them. Give Gift Certificates to everyone in your list-they are affordable at amazon, and the best sellers are below…
2) Use cash – this is one of the biggest aids in learning to shop within your means. Sure, it will not lower the amount you have to pay in the shop. However, monitoring your budget and avoiding overspending will become far easier. If you withdraw your weekly budget and then leave your credit card at home, you are unlikely to spend more than you can afford. Though, keep in mind that carrying all that money around is also a bad idea. So, this brings us to the next tip.
3) Plan ahead – planning all your shopping trips ahead will allow you to avoid (most of the time) carrying larger sums of money. It will also help further restrict your spending. A good idea is to put your plan onto paper in form of a shopping list. This way, you can adjust the amount of cash in your wallet accordingly (if you know the approximate prices).
4) Beware the impulse shopping! This is very important as impulse shopping will not only make it hard to follow your budget, but it can also easily lead to overspending. Though, previous tips should help you a lot in avoiding impulse shopping. Anyway, you also need to keep it in mind. Buy only things you really need and rather save money for harder times that are almost certain to come some day in the future.
5) Beware the special offers and sales – I know it is good to get something cheaper. However, you need to remember that sales and special offers are meant to increase sales thus getting you to buy something you would not have bought otherwise. Jumping into such a deal is unwise unless you really need the items in question. If it is only your desire or greed (not need!) speaking, ignore the offer. You can find some great buys from trusted shops like amazon, and Shareasale, if you like fragrances-check below
To conclude, shopping within your means is not as hard as some of you might think. Following these helpful tips will help you a lot. Though, you will also need the will to make that change. Remember to set a budget according to your income and shop with cash. Regard impulse shopping as your worst enemy and keep in mind that special offer or sales are only convenient if you really need those items.
Written by dorki